This week starts posts from a song book. The front pages started to post on Monday. Today they will continue and the songs will start Friday. (See BOOK in the main menu bar for more information.)
My life’s purpose is that I may know CHRIST; that I may progressively become more deeply acquainted with Him. Therefore I determined to ponder His life as told in the scriptures more deliberately than ever before.
JESUS! In Word and Song, Vol. 1, addresses the history of JESUS’ time on earth. The subjects of the songs span the anticipation of His birth until Pentecost. The resources used were the four Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) and Acts, chapters one and two, as well as comments about scripture by “the great cloud of witnesses” (Hebrews 12:1) before me.
The written page before each song contains material collected while researching the subject of the song. Each song and page of facts have footnotes where the words are not mine. These “Endnotes” are on the page after each song.
Used as a devotional the volumes, JESUS! In Word and Song Vol. 1 and 2, contain enough songs to meditate on one song and the companion page of information weekly for a year. This is a great help to preach the gospel to ourselves daily.
Songs are positioned in the book to align with the Church Calendar Year. More detailed information about the Calendar can be found in Appendix A. Appendix B lists songs according to subjects and includes scripture references.
JESUS! In Word and Song is also a resource for the church family; it’s well suited for corporate singing and study. It is appropriate for the worship service as well as Bible study and Sunday school.
The Bible’s use in public worship should be set in the context of songs and hymns and programs that are redolent with the substance of God’s holy word. Responsive readings can [also] be beneficial because they involve the congregation in voicing the sacred text.1
“Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them” (Ps 111:2 ESV).
1 ESV Study Bible, English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2001, ESV Text Edition: 2011) 2575.
1 In Hope Assured Advent week one–hope
2. Prince of Peace Advent week two–peace
3. Earth Receives Her CHRIST Advent week three–joy
4. GOD Came to Us Advent week four–love
5. Shepherds Rejoice The birth of CHRIST
6. Fully GOD, Fully Man JESUS is fully GOD, fully man
7. Linking Clay with the Divine Epiphany
8. JESUS CHRIST Submitted to Baptism The baptism of JESUS
9. Graced With SPIRIT The Son of man made holy
10. He Sat On the Steps JESUS at age twelve
11. Stop. Ask. For the SPIRIT JESUS Grew in Wisdom
12. JESUS Tempted The Temptation of JESUS
13. Shout for Joy The Compassion of JESUS
14. JESUS Teaches The Teachings of JESUS
15. JESUS, You Suffered The Sufferings of JESUS
16. The Jews Observed the Sabbath JESUS and the Sabbath
17. When the LORD Was With the Twelve JESUS Training His Disciples
18, CHRIST Inside of Me The LORD’s Supper
19. CHRIST Surren’dring All The Crucifixion
20. Have You Heard? The Resurrection
21. Energizing Fear The empty tomb
22. Thomas Was Gone Doubting Thomas
23. I Go Prepare a Place Preparing disciples for his death
24. Following His Lead The great commission
25. At the Temple Praising Disciples Waiting for the Promise
26. The Savior Lives No More to Die The Ascension
27. Abiding Miracle Pentecost