“Let me faithfully study my character, be willing to bring it to light, observe myself in my trials, judge the reality and degree of my grace, consider how I have been ensnared or overcome” The Valley of Vision (ref#76, p84).
FATHER, “sin is…my viper born in my birth, alive all my life, strong in my character, dominating my faculties, following me as a shadow, intermingling with my every thought…” (ref#76, p41). I recognize it is only Your compassion that I am not consumed (ref#76, p39). Therefore I wish to be searched to find and confess the wicked ways in me (Ps 139:23-24).
- Have I flattered You, FATHER, with only my lips (ref# 76, p39)?
- Do I set before myself some pleasure or profit or even striving for Your acceptance (ref#35, p150)?
- Do You live in my thoughts (ref#35, p151)?
- Do I covet by hoarding, improvidently squander, and not consecrate everything to You (ref#76, p87)?
- Do I go this way then that with various thoughts and ways, dreaming in my imaginations (ref#35, p150)?
- Do I resist “rebukes of conscience, admonitions of friends, leadings of providence” (ref#76, p192)?
- Am I settled yet experiencing peace and resting in Your “assurance of everlasting blessedness” (ref#35, p151)?
- Do I ungratefully receive Your benefits—forgetting to praise and thank You (ref#76, p192)?
- Have I really found CHRIST who will never grieve or trouble me (ref#35, p151)?
- Do I misuse my faculties, neglect opportunities, use words ill-advised (ref#76, p180)?
- Do I really know You in Your “excellency and desirableness” (ref#35, p151)?
- Do You have Your due place in my heart (ref#35, p151)?
- Are You my all in all (ref#35, p151)?
“I repent of my folly and inconsiderate ways, my broken resolutions, untrue service, my backsliding steps, my vain thoughts” (ref#76, p180).